Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A letter from dad to Harrison about career concerns



Harrison,                                                        2-17-2016

Planning for your future is always good. I have done that all my life and I know what you are feeling. The best thing you can do now is serve with all your might, mind and strength. You are developing so many habits that you could not ask for a better training ground for your future life. We talked about habits a lot during your youth. You are being forced into some great habits on your mission. Your morning routine for example is a great way to start each day. When working, you will do the same. I can't tell you how many times CJ says "this reminds me of my mission ". There are a lot of similarities to a successful missionary and a successful young man. You are serving now without any expectation of compensation from anyone. Once you are in the workforce, that will change. How well you learn great habits and skills will translate into school and work life. If you work as hard as I think you are working now, when you get back, you will be a great success. This time in your life will be the only time when you have minimal distractions from your work. This is why the mission has all those rules. It is to keep you focused on the work. 

So, in answer to your questions, you cannot really make money while you are in the field. You cannot spend money and keep as much of your savings as possible to have when you get back. The best thing you can do while you are out, it to develop great habits and great work ethic. This will  be a great asset to you when you come home. Not every missionary will get that from their mission. Your mission is probably the most like what eternity will be like. You are serving the lord without much need for monetary needs and do so selflessly. You may not have another time to do that in your earthly life. Give it your all, it goes quick. 

When you come back and are attending school. There is a lot you can do while attending school. Shannon worked for me while she was here and  some when she went back to school. She took some on line classes and finished early. When she took the on line classes, she lived at home and worked for me. I think she finished in a little over 3 years. You can do transaction management from school. This is where you manage the transaction from a web based program. You can write offers on properties for us to buy. You can do marketing, which CJ is doing a lot of. There is actually a lot you can do if you want. Your education is most important. Your college experience is also important. I know you will want to get going on your career,  but like a mission, you will never have the college experience again and you  should enjoy it. I think we can have a 10-20 hour work type of assignment for you depending on your school work load. 

Remember when I had you do physical work and you did not really like it. I was trying to give you the experience at that time in your life so you could draw upon it later. As a teenage, it was the proper time. While on your mission you can put into practice some of the habits I have taught you and more that you develop while you are out. This was also part of my plan. When you come home, I expect you will have your teenage experience and your mission experience to draw upon, I will then give you practical training for the job you will be doing as a career. While you are home between breaks, I will train you on some aspect of the job. I will do that through out your college career. When you are done with college, you should be trained. You will have your license and have gone through the Tom Ferry Training throughout college. 

You will be well prepared for your career.

Keep us the great work you are doing on your mission. I would like you to write me more. Your letters are great and I know that your are busy writing many people.  It is good to know you are doing great, but I would like more details. 

Tell me who you are writing.  While out on your mission, you can influence lots of people. I know your have written Brooke.  I think that is great and encourage you to keep doing that. Who else are you writing?  I know some of your friends could use your influence, maybe some current quorum members preparing to go out.  Maybe some of my relatives that you could develop a more spiritual relationship while out on your mission. 

Tell me how a typical day is.  Tell me how your ward is.   I know a lady emailed mom and asked about the “Sunday special”.  Sounds like the ward is good to the missionaries.  Tell me how your ward mission leader is.  I know he emailed about your recent converts housing situation. I think that is great how you are trying to help.  Tell me how the medication is working or not working. This was a big concern when you went out and I have not heard much about it. It must be working well.   Tell me about your investigators by name.  We can pray for them,  when you tell us each week who you are teaching. If you don't have time, then write us. I like to know the details as I use those experiences that you have in my life and lessons. 
Tell me the best parts of your mission so far
Tell me the worst parts of your mission so far.
Tell me what you want to do better on your mission. 
Tell me what makes you the happiest each week. 
How is your studying going 

I look forward to your letter and hearing some more details of your mission. 

Love you 

DAD





No comments:

Post a Comment