Sunday, January 31, 2016

Unfamiliar Hands Poem 1-9-2016

Unfamiliar Hands

I took my last breath.
My life was over.
Eyes slowly opened, I was done.
I felt footsteps
Coming closer in rhythm.
Seeing, but blind
I reached out my hands,
Feeling for forgiveness
I shook for something
one staggering foot and then another.
I felt the cheeks of a man
Slow, whimpering lips pleaded… please, please, please
Unfamiliar hands lifted my own
He said come follow me
I’ve heard that before.

Laid out before me, I saw my own life. 
I looked away in pain.
 Bitter agony encircled my soul.
Why did you leave me?  His eyes met mine.
Only tears for my answer, my heart tearing inside.
I gave you MY hands to bare you up.
You push them away, claiming it’s not enough. 
You knew in your heart that it was,
And that it won’t hurt ME, but it does.
I forgave you, over and over and over again. 
I gave you my life, so that you could mend.

But I am not finished.
To help you rise from your lows,
I felt the UNFAMILIAR HANDS.  I remembered the holes.
Why for me?  Why for me?
I have pushed you away.
I have hated who you are, but you love me the same?
I have forgotten who you are and I forgot your hands.
I have blamed you for everything and walked on you like sand.
WHY?
I have been thorns that drove deep in your head.
I have been the slashes in your back as you bleed.
I have been the nails that pierced your palms.
I have been the soldier to watch you break down and fall.
I’ve been the spit that’s been cast on your face.
I am the dust that’s created for waste.
But, you bore me up, why?

Because my son, you have had thorns placed on your head.
You have had slashes, and lied there and bled.
You have had nails pearce you to the wall.
You have had people mock you until you fall.
You have had people spit in your face. 
And you are never the dust, you are never a waste
and I will always be here to bare you up.

I will always be here to help you stand,

Even if you only feel UNFAMILIAR HANDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment