Monday, November 2, 2015

Nov 2, 2015 - Port Ludlow - 2nd area

We finally received a real letter from Harrison!  He has been in touch, but his letters were with super short or long poems.  Charles sent him a 15 questions email and we finally got that back from him with Saturday's mail.  I am pleased with his progress and have seen several pictures and he looks happy and healthy.  FYI, a 40 day fast is not what you might think... he will fast for missionary work with a pool of people, with each member of the group fasting for the same purpose but rotate the days.  This explanation is really for his sweet Grandmother, Eva Chacon.  

Thank you for your love and support.  We feel blessed and grateful that Elder Chacon is doing well and progressing with his own testimony as he serves the Lord!

Dear Family & Friends,

Well, I guess its due time that I write a nice long letter.  Now that I am out in the middle of nowhere, I have tons of time to write letters on p-day. I have wrote 11 today. 
        I often stop and think, “Wow, I’m on a mission" Its kind of funny because this life is normal now. My companion is Elder Osmun who is an amazing missionary that I was with in the MTC.  We are two young guys over a huge area. I am driving and it is nice to be back. I felt like a 15 year old again who could not drive, Typically you can’t drive for the first six months and the last transfer of your mission, but are area is so big that we have to have a car. The work WAS terrible here but I am going to change that. We have hit numbers that have not been hit in our area for several months. We have a lady named Gloria on date for the 8th. I am about to start up my second 40 day fast, and am looking forward to it. We are working with the members a lot more and it is kind of weird for me. I know through members there will be many more people brought to the waters of baptism, but its not the instant gratification that I am used to by knocking on doors. We still knock doors and that will not change, but with the experience that I have had with members so far, I am looking forward to the future. I fell like I live in a mansion.  It’s HUGE.  My closet here is bigger than my room back home. Its nice and easy to keep clean with just two people, and every thing else with just two people is easy... planning, appointments, church, dinners.... everything is just so simple in comparison. It’s a lot different being so far away for everything.  I am grateful for the way I was raised because I see a lot of disobedient missionaries out here because no one is around to watch them, but it shows in there countenance when I do see them. Elder Osmun is very obedient which I am thankful for. 
        i have been thinking from time to time about Cabo.  Just for short times, but I definitely took that for granite along with many other things. We watched 17 Miracles on Halloween and I have been thinking a lot about what I really want in a wife... I know I’m just 18... but I’m also Mormon hahah.   In the movie there is a younger couple and they both want to wait till they get to Zion to be sealed. The love that they showed for each other and the standards that they followed I admired. The woman had such a strong testimony, showing her love to God and to her (husband) even till he died. So I asked myself "if I could pick one thing for my wife to have, what would it be?" and it would be to have a solid testimony of this gospel. So that’s what we should have a desire to have. I know I did not until I was out here on my mission, and if it weren't for my trainers I might not have been writing this email. So my challenge and my prayer is that you all pray to know if the Book of Mormon is true. I don’t’ care if you have and received an answer that it is..... Do it again.... I ask every night, and continually receive my answer that it is, and that makes the power of my testimony that much stronger. We all have the ability to talk to God.   Why don’t we use this more often? The only times I prayed when I was home was at church and when my family would ask me to pray. Don’t be me.... there is no point in faking who you are for others. When I bore my testimony it was to please my parents. Now as I bare my conviction of the truthfulness of this gospel and all that it entails, I no longer speak the words of man but the words of Christ. I know that Joseph Smith is a true prophet and no matter how many times I doubt that he saw God the Father and his son Jesus Christ in a grove of trees, I receive a witness that he did, and that he did translate the Book of Mormon, and that we have it as proof that God loves all his children and he has given us not only the Book of Mormon but a living prophet to lift us up and to be a mouth piece to all the world. 
You can break the church down, and I did, but when it comes down to it, the church is simply true. I love all of you and that is why I plead with you to strengthen your testimony. Pray, he is there, Speak, he is listening. 
Whenever I am in a situation that is sketchy I tell myself , "Be still my soul" and my companion will say, "The Lord is on our side" 
Friends and family, the Lord is on our side. The world is no longer grey, it is black and white, good and bad. As a missionary I am teaching that last of the grey but as for yourself you need to decide. The atonement is real, use it!  He suffered there for you. Your face was and is in his mind. The one who can help you be the best is someone who has been through the same thing...and He has. 
I leave you with my witness that the Savior lives.
Love,

 Elder Harrison Donald Chacon

No comments:

Post a Comment